Scalp Micropigmentation, also called hair tattoo, is an innovative and ground-breaking treatment administered to conceal the damage hair loss causes. It can cover bald spots or thinning hair with the use of thin needles to deposit tiny dots of pigment on the scalp without surgery. Scalp micropigmentation pigments are cosmetic-grade, permanent inks.
Who Can Benefit from Scalp Micropigmentation?
Scalp micropigmentation is a type of permanent makeup that can create the appearance of thicker hair, which will benefit those with the following:
- Alopecia areata
- Chemotherapy-related hair loss
- Hair loss in women
- Hormonal conditions that cause hair loss, like PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Male pattern baldness, including receding hairline and baldness at the crown of the head
- Thin hair or scalp show-through
- Scars or birthmarks on the scalp
What’s The Process Like And How Long Will It Take?
Scalp Micropigmentation treatment typically takes 3-4 hours per session, depending on the degree of hair loss. Generally, it is expected to have between 2-4 sessions to complete the SMP treatment, depending on the extent of hair loss or scarring, usually spaced about 7-14 days apart.
Before the procedure, some general guidelines must be followed, such as showering before each treatment since the scalp should not be washed or wet (including sweating excessively for four days after each treatment session).
During the procedure, a certified scalp micropigmentation practitioner reviews the hair loss solution and will guide you from beginning to end to customize the treatment plan. The practitioner will simulate a hairline to match the desired look. This hairline mockup allows seeing precisely what the treatment will look like.
Once the client is satisfied completely with the plan, the hair loss treatment can already be scheduled. The first session is used to place the foundation of replicated hair follicles, where an immediate difference is already visible, and a complete look appears.
In addition, the second and third sessions will add additional layers of density to create a complete and short hair appearance while eliminating any sign of hair loss. After the final treatment, the provider will provide the aftercare instructions.
In the weeks between treatments, it is suggested not to go on swimming, as well as use steam or sauna rooms or take very hot showers to avoid a steam storm. Avoid exposing the scalp to the sun for the first four days, but wearing a hat is fine.
On the fifth day after treatment, the treated skin can already be exposed to the sun for one hour or 45 minutes for very fair skin. However, it is best to note that less sun exposure to the treated scalp area only means better long-term retention.
What Are the Benefits of Scalp Micropigmentation?
- Long-term usage. Scalp micropigmentation can last up to 3 years with little maintenance, unlike any other hair loss treatments that will need a touch-up session every 4-6 months to keep the hair follicles in good condition. With SMP, restorative pigmentation is only required when the pigment begins to fade on the treated scalp.
- No need for extra maintenance. Scalp micropigmentation requires little to no upkeep. Once the scalp micropigmentation sessions are done, there is no need to do much to keep it looking good. However, the use of sunscreen is recommended, and that exfoliation is avoided.
- Safe and secure. SMP doesn’t involve the use of any chemicals, surgical, etc. For pigmentation to work, it only uses an electric tattoo needle and a mild anesthetic to prevent infections and alleviate pain.
- Economical. The treatment is a less expensive and simpler alternative to hair transplants. Rather than enduring skin grafts and invasive transplants into the head, SMP requires no downtime, which can last for many years before fading or needing a touch-up to occur.
- Minimally invasive. SMP does not involve breaking the skin; instead, it integrates the pigmentation seamlessly with one’s skin tone with tiny needles. It’s quick and painless since it uses high-tech software and instruments.
- Realistic look. Another great advantage of SMP is scar coverage since it can cover up and mask the appearance of scars on the scalp and assist in forming hair follicles. It is possible to conceal blemishes with careful placement of pigment dots to blend in with the rest of the hair.
- Youthful appearance. Hair loss and thinning conditions can sometimes cause a drop in self-esteem because it makes one feel like others are staring at their bald spots and assuming they are aging. With the help of SMP, the micro pigmentation treatment boosts people’s confidence in pattern baldness, alopecia, or a receding hairline.
- Reliable hair loss solution. Micropigmentation is not the same as hair transplantation in hair loss treatment. Hair transplants use hair follicles taken from other body parts and surgically inserted into the scalp. Scalp micropigmentation uses microneedles to replicate the color of the hair on the scalp, giving the thicker hair volume appearance.
How Long Does Scalp Micropigmentation Last?
Based on the specific condition of the treatment, there are some reasons why clients may need to come in sooner rather than later since sun exposure can make the pigments start to fade. The more the scalp is exposed to UV rays, the faster the treatment will begin to fade.
Another reason scalp micropigmentation may take longer than others to fade is the type of pigment applied. Naturally, some people will require darker tones than others, so the time it takes to lose vibrancy is often a little longer.
The skin tone will also play a role in the period for scalp micropigmentation to fade. People with darker skin tones may not require a top-up before those with lighter skin, as the color fade may be less noticeable. Besides, this is just a general rule and may differ from person to person.
The Bottom Line
As more people disguise hair loss or thinning hair, Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) has increased in popularity as a form of cosmetic tattooing to fill in bald patches, make the hair look thicker, and give a more youthful appearance. Dash Medical Spa offers Scalp Micropigmentation, a non-invasive treatment that provides the most natural hair loss solution for balding, thinning hair, transplant scars, and alopecia. Furthermore, we understand that hair loss is a sensitive subject for most people, so everything is catered toward your privacy and comfort, from our discreet location in downtown Delray Beach to how our rooms are set up.